Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Dora Backpack Goodie Bags

Good Morning!

As promised I have finished the Dora backpack goodie bags for my daughter's 3rd birthday party! So here is what I did!

First, I went to Jo-Ann's and found a purple fabric. I got a purple fabric that is close in color to Backpack's but this speckled flannel was on sale, and since I was making 15 of these and they are for young children (who really won't care) I decided to just use this. If you are only making one and want it to be exact you can probably find something solid that might be more expensive....Anyway...

Fold the fabric in half, and iron it flat. Then make a paper pattern that is 10''x7''.


Next, put the patten flat on the fabric and lay a book on top of it to keep it in place. Then trace the pattern on the fabric with chalk. (I used sidewalk chalk because that is what we had LOL!!) I cut the fabric along the chalk line. Now you will have two pieces of the same pattern!


Place the two pieces of fabric on top of each other right sides together. Take a ruler and measure from the top 1 inch down and then 2 inches down. Draw a line at each inch. Place a pin horizontal at the second line on both sides of the fabric so you know where to begin and end sewing. Pin the fabric together.




Start sewing at the second line where you placed the pin on one side of the fabric, continue sewing down the side, along the bottom, and back up the opposite side of the fabric, ending at the next horizontal pin (second line from top).



Next, fold down the top to crease at the first line. Pin this fold. Do this for both sides of the fabric folding them opposite directions so the right side of the fabric is now showing.

Separate the two folds and sew along the bottom of each fold. Sew one fold first, stop cut the thread and begin sewing the next side. This is the top of the bag so be sure not to sew the opening closed!! Once you are finished sewing turn the bag in side right!
Sew a button hole at the bottom corners.


Next, you will make the straps. I used white yarn that I already had. You could use rope or something heavier if you like. Cut 6 pieces of 4ft yarn. Then divide the yarn into two sets of 3 pieces. I braided each set to make them a little sturdier. Use a safety pin or paper clip to thread one set of yarn through one side of the bag and then through the other side.


Take the second set of yarn and thread through the bag, but in the opposite direction. You should now have one set coming out one side and the other set of yarn coming out of the other side. Tie each set through the button hole corresponding with it's side.


Lastly, the finishing touch! The face of backpack. I found a backpack picture online printed it and cut out the eyes, mouth, and eyebrows, I then traced them onto felt, cut the felt out and used tacky glue to attach it to my Backpack!



TADA!
A cute mini Dora Backpack/Goodie Bag. Inside I am going to put a print out of The Map with some crayons, candy and other goodies!

Have Fun!
And have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment